apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Managua -- Day 2

First day of work - Day 2 Nicaragua
Today was the first day of work. I didn't get to see much of the country or city today. Oh well. I am also not sure how much work, we actually got done. We had several people talking at us. I was ok with the Spanish until about 2PM when I became really glad that we had a translator. The Managua telecenter was really large. There were 12 computer cubicles and a large auditorium which is where we spent most of the time. The internet was so slow and we ended up buying a wireless router so that all of us could get laptops online. Earlier in the day, we had all been on one side of the auditorium in which our cords couldn't reach the outlets. By the end of the day, we all moved to the otherside for power, displacing most of the local workers.

As for work, we ended up developing a script for a focus group with questions for the groups that we are meeting on Tuesday, PTA and administrators from the next door school, student groups and university students. We also listened to severl presentations, some of which were just more than we needed.

For dinner we were taken to a mall so that we could eat at a food court. We're americans afterall, right? Ugh. We need a bit more communication. I did have some traditional Nica food from one of the places: beans and rice, pork, fried cheese and fried bananas. It was ok. We then went to the supermarket which was the highlight of the day. I love seeing products from other countries, not to mention all the cool fruits and vegetables.

More tomorrow, hopefully.

8 Comments:

At 1:13 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger Cyclin Ninja said...

Food court? All Americans love the food court. You mean to tell me you did not feel right at home in a shopping mall? I have not been to a mall in a year or so....

 
At 2:00 PM, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these updates apete! I love hearing about what you are doing down there. :)

- Amy (aka the minion)

 
At 5:17 PM, March 21, 2006, Blogger apete said...

Grrr...sometimes, I don't want to be american.

 
At 9:31 PM, March 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous (but glad to hear that you have arrived safely). I make myself feel better about not getting to go by purchasing a tick to India :)

Do they have good coffee?

 
At 6:13 AM, March 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bit of trivia for you: there are freshwater sharks in Lake Nicaragua. So careful if you go swimming. Other than that, have a great trip!

 
At 4:10 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger srah said...

Foreign malls are fun!

(I ate in a food court in Chile.)

 
At 10:30 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger apete said...

Sharks are true!

Most of the coffee used by the peeps is instant like any other latin country that I've visited.

Food courts are not really where I want to be taken. Subway is subway, BK is BK and what was with Kelly's Cajun Kitchen?

 
At 6:48 AM, March 26, 2006, Blogger srah said...

Do they drink instant coffee? They had that all over the place in Israel. Coffee is gross to start with, but I think coffee drinkers woudl think that's gross.

When I was searching online for restaurants in Managua, I found a traveler's suggestion that you should go eat in the mall food court and that they had a good Cajun restaurant. I bet that was your mall! I'm so disturbed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home