apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Friday, November 04, 2005

Wal-Mart Sucks

So, I have been inspired again so I have a little case study. Well, I guess that I can say that I am lucky to have never lived in a community where there is a Wal-Mart. I have been spending some time down in Oxford, OH and they have this new Wal-Mart Supercenter. The funny part is that when you drive from the downtown area to the Wal-Mart there are several closed down storefronts. An industry analyst, Retail Forward, predicted in Business Week (10/16/2003) that for every new Supercenter that Wal-Mart opens, two local supermarkets will close. This doesn't include pharmacies, hardware stores and other local businesses. It also doesn't include the ugly hulk of a building that was formally a Wal-Mart in Oxford, OH. I just guess it wasn't big enough.

I know it's cheaper, but I am one of those people who will spend a little extra money to make my community a little bit better. It is funny that Wal-Mart's founder said, "Something must be done by all of us in the retailing and manufacturing areas to reverse this serious threat of overseas imports to our free enterprise system… Our company is firmly committed to the philosophy by buying everything possible from suppliers who manufacture their products in the United States."” and the current CEO recently purchased a Lexus hybrid because "I just hate dependence on foreign oil." (I will give him props for driving a hybrid though.) when 70% of the merchandise comes from China which would make Wal-Mart China's 8th largest trading partner...if it were an independent nation.

Speaking of Wal-Mart being an independent nation, it would be the 14th largest financially, just ahead of Sweden . And some people find California being the 5th largest economy being odd...

Yet another study shows that local businesses spend 53% of their revenues within the community that it resides. This contrasts greatly to the 14% of revenues from a large store like Wal-Mart. So basically each large store you have in your community, you arfunnelingng even more money to some other place.

Most of this information comes from Walmartwatch.com.

And Oxford is a nice little town including the beautiful campus of Miami University. *sigh* I do feel better now.

8 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger srah said...

Why the hell would you go to Oxford, OH?

 
At 12:44 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger srah said...

When I started my job search and got into interviewing, it was one of my first exposures to Life Outside Michigan. It was scary to think that I might live somewhere where there was no viable alternative to Wal-Mart. I hated Wal-Mart long before it was popular to do so, because:

a) The only Wal-Mart in my area was in "the ghetto."
b) We went there once and the stupid greeter guy tried to push my mom into a wheelchair.
c) I hated their commercials.

I think I've only been in a Wal-Mart thrice in my life.

I'm lucky enough to have found a good job and apartment that are close to things like Kroger, a hardware store, a pharmacy, etc. And Meijer is close enough to be a realistic alternative to Wal-Mart.

I have never set foot in the Oxford Wal-Mart and I hope to continue the trend!

You know what I really hate about Oxford, though? CRAZY GIRL. Man, I hate her!

 
At 4:37 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger srah said...

Ta da!

 
At 12:00 PM, November 05, 2005, Blogger apete said...

My favorite blogger is in Oxford, Oh. That and Toasted Rolls.

 
At 2:49 PM, November 05, 2005, Blogger srah said...

It's the toasted rolls, really, isn't it? Wait, don't tell me.

 
At 8:41 AM, November 10, 2005, Blogger Cheryl said...

I hate Walmart. It's one of my fears. (Have I ever mentioned that? It's one of my fears, really.) I actually had a mild panic attack the last time I was in one and had to GET OUT OF THERE. I was almost running.

(I only go to Walmart if I'm already over by it because there's nothing else around here unless I want to drive a ways and we don't have Meijer's Thrifty Acres and that makes me sad.)

 
At 4:30 PM, November 10, 2005, Blogger srah said...

You should move to Oxford. I'll find out if we have monkeys.

 
At 6:54 AM, November 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

let metell you a story, 15 yrs ago i started with walmart as a cashier.i worked my way up to department manager, then low and behold i became an assistant manager. by the way we make less then the associates and have to work longer hours. then a year and a half ago i was injured on the the job by an associate who thought he was being helpful. i am now permently disableded, after 15 yrs of dedicated service do you think they care no. no phone calls, 3 cards in over a year, and finally the ax. i really loved what i did, and i always made sure my associates at night were taken care of. now they mess with my medication, holding it for days, and my pay holding it for weeks. anyone out there reading this please fight for your rights and lets get these barbariens to start praticing what they preach, family comes along with the co.( yah right) once your injured or sick thats it, the family moves on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home