apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I Quit...

Well, I quit my big person job today. It was sort of weird but I have been threatening it for about 2 years. It really isn't that big of a deal because I am only working one day a week because of school. I am glad I did it. I feel kind of free. It'll be a nice kick in the butt to start applying for a new job. So what was it that made me finally step over the line:

  • The company I was working for lost a contract and loses the business that I was working with on June 6th.
  • I just helped retire a system that I was the only one with real knowledge of so I didn't need to hand that one off.
  • One of my goals for going to school was to look for a new job.
  • I thought I was going to quit about 24 times since I started school. I either wussed out or was talked out of it every time.
  • I am going to Nicaragua for about a month in March and didn't want to deal with being gone from work for that long.
  • It gives me 10 more hours to do homework or apply for jobs each week.
  • Work was getting too monotonous.
So as you can see the reasons were piling up and that first bullet point was what tipped the scales. Basically, it meant that even if I stayed, there wouldn't be much of a future there anyway so it wouldn't even be that great of a fallback.

Who knows?

12 Comments:

At 9:53 PM, February 07, 2006, Blogger Noor said...

congrats! It is pretty funny though that you've been saying you want to quit ever since I first met you during our first semester at SI! ;)

 
At 5:32 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger srah said...

Yay. Now find a real job or you have to come down here and be my laundry attendant. The pay is very very bad. In fact, I will probably just beat you up and empty your pockets.

 
At 5:36 AM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats dude! Though I suppose this means that your phone will be ringing less, which is a bad thing (if the volume's up, that is).

 
At 6:08 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Cyclin Ninja said...

Awesome! I am very jelous. Now, is a great time to follow your dream of being a dog walker. Wait, that is MY dream. I really want to quit my job and be a dog walker in Chicago. They make bank!

 
At 6:10 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Cyclin Ninja said...

May I also add I am very jealous of your trip to Nicaragua. Make sure to see some freshwater sharks!

 
At 6:17 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger apete said...

Yes, I can indeed stop whining about my job!

Mattbot, last night the phone rang with the ringer.

 
At 7:35 AM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! yay! Finally, you won' t have that stupid "I have to go to work" excuse!

 
At 7:38 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger apete said...

Yeah, you are an expert at that excuse.

 
At 8:49 AM, February 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! You never ever seemed happy with work in all the years I've known ya! Have you told my former work dad?

-Jody

 
At 11:21 AM, February 08, 2006, Blogger apete said...

Thanks Jody. It's been awhile. I was actually conversing with your work dad while I was making the decision. EDS won BARS back. And I was happy for about the first 3 years.

 
At 7:11 AM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll inspire my work dad to quit talking about going to Florida and actually do it!

Let me do some math... if the first 3 years were fun, did work stop being fun when I moved? ;)

EDS got BARS back?!? Sheesh! What goes around comes around. I better remove all BARS referneces from my resume ASAP.

 
At 10:48 AM, March 20, 2006, Blogger phutch said...

I just assumed you quit long ago dude...

Good luck/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home