apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Random DC things

So, I am in Washington DC doing a week long internship for the Library of Congress which is a SI program called ASB. It has been ok so far. I had a lot more fun last year in making the continental maps clickable for the Federal Research Division's country studies. Last year, I also got to see a lot more behind the scenes of the LC including the stacks, preservation lab, and the vault with the cool maps and atlases.

This year, I have been working with the National Digital Newspaper Program which has been ok. I have done some different types of processing, quality checking and usability analysis on the documents.

Like last year, I've also been enjoying the walk to and from work. It is just really refreshing to be able to walk to work. It takes about 35 minutes either way.

Outside of work, I've mainly been eating as usual. I discovered the National Museum of the American Indian has an interesting and tasty cafe. There are a couple of different regions to go visit and they all have a couple of main dishes and side dishes to choose from. I've now had some venison, buffalo and salmon along with several salads that have been quite good. The only down side to this is the expense. This place is not a cheap place to eat.

Last night was also a good food night. We went to a place called afterwards which was part of a bookstore called kramerbooks. It was really good. I had a crabcake with avocado and tomato salad. After that we went to a bar called Saint Ex which was also really cool. We only had a drink there but we caught the end of this one movie at the bar that none of us had ever seen or heard of. It had Richard Pryor, Sidney Poitier, Bill Cosby (w/beard) and a couple of other recognizable faces in it. We couldn't wait to get back to the hotel to check it out and make plans for a viewing once we returned to Ann Arbor. Right after the movie they started playing the Muppets. This was even more entertaining.

2 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, March 02, 2006, Blogger Cyclin Ninja said...

I have been feeling this urge to visit DC again, so I am very jealous of you. I thought my disgust with the cabinet right now would keep me away, but it is strangely drawing me closer....like a big tractor beam of some sorts. I mainly want to go for the museums.

Delaney OUT

 
At 7:28 AM, March 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you get a chance, seek out Brickskellar for a drink after work some night. They have about 200 beers, most of which I'd never heard of before. It's been awhile but I *think* it was a short walk from the Foggy Bottom (tee hee!) metro stop. They've got bar food too.

Oh! and you can't go wrong with an Ethopian restaurant in Adams Morgan if you're up that way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home