apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Libraries and My Spanish Sucks

Day 3 -
Introduced myself as 'una estudiante...' today in front of about 20 high school kids. They laughed, I turned red. It was...fun.

For my library readers out there: We did our morning focus groups in the school library. It is a poorer school that is just down the road from the Managua telecenter. Between the focus groups, I chatted with the librarian who was actually a Spanish professor at a local university. She volunteers at the library when she can because she loves the kids, parents and books. She loves having the kids say hi to her on the street and being useful. I guess there isn't a library educational program in the country. She has taken classes and read up on it on her own. There was a bunch of new donations that were on the shelves but not cataloged yet if anyone is looking to volunteer.

1 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, March 23, 2006, Blogger srah said...

That is so cute, red student-girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home