apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

More on the Condo Purchase Agreement

I forgot to mention a couple of things about the condo purchase agreement in that previous post. I had some fun in negotiating. I really didn't touch the price directly at all but I did get three cool things added that weren't there before.
  • I got my homeowner's dues, which are paid to the condo association each month, waved until 2008 which I think is about $250 a month.
  • I also talked my way into the appliance upgrade which puts all stainless appliances into my unit. I think there was a $6000 pricetag on that one.
  • Finally, the association only allows dogs under 25 lbs in the unit. I had it written into my contract that I could have that waived for the first time. I think it is written in there, '...until the said dog is gone.' It helped that my real estate agent and the woman representing the condo were both dog people.

It was kinda fun and it reminded me that I wanted to take a negotiation class while I was in grad school. I guess I could look at UW for one of those.

6 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, August 20, 2006, Blogger srah said...

What do you mean 'waived for the first time'? For the first dog? Or you would be the first person in the building they'd waive it for? That's nice. Big dogs for apete!

 
At 11:57 PM, August 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your purchase, Andy. Looks like you have innate negotiation skills. Best of luck out there!

 
At 6:16 PM, August 25, 2006, Blogger Syl said...

Just make sure you keep getting dogs that look like the "first" one.

I can't get the dog I want because of the weight limit, which is actually over 50 lbs here But, a Newfoundland is bigger than what they'll allow.

BTW, I didn't see a guest room in the floor plan!!!

 
At 7:19 AM, August 29, 2006, Blogger Cyclin Ninja said...

Apete....we had our pet weight limit waived as well. We just asked everyone who lived in our building and they said no problem. I told them labs don't get that big. :) He is only 80lbs and psycho.

Also...what are they going to do to you? To actually take action, the association has to spend money in lawyers, court fees, etc. So, most of the time they would never take action against you if you did get a big dog. I mean really.... are dogs noisier than children? We have people upstairs and south of us that have two kids. They ride their big wheels through the hall. They run, jump, and scream. Is that any noisier than a dog? That is the purpose of the weight rule. Dog foot steps on the floor, etc. Dumb. I will take a dog in the building over children anyday. Children draw on our back deck, leave their piss smelling stroller in the hallway, and leave trash on their balcony.

My approach....kill them with kindness. Ask nicely, then if they refuse what you want...do it anyways.

Just how I roll.

Sorry for the long post dude.

 
At 6:19 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Syl said...

Well, my apartment complex has called Animal Control and they've taken away pets that weren't supposed to be there. So, I am not sure challenging what they say is a good idea.

 
At 11:45 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger apete said...

Nope, no guest room. I would have needed about 115K more for another room.

As for the Animal Control, it is a little bit easier in the condos because you have part ownership so there isn't a completely independant party that will make a decision like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home