apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Seeing to world a wee bit clearer

So if you've seen me around lately, you may have noticed something new on my face. Yeah, they are glasses. It's been about a month and I've been doing really well with remembering them.

It's been about 5 years since I received my first prescription. I did get glasses then and wore them about 12 times. Sure, it made things a little clearer but I really don't think it made my life better. I can't tell you where those glasses are right now.

The next stage was about 2 years later and I went back to the eye doctor and he told me my prescription hadn't changed and that, "I wouldn't kill someone on the road because of it." That was good enough reason to not get another pair that time.

This last time, I gave in and got a pair of glasses. I REALLY hate to wear them and it doesn't help when everyone tells me that I look good in them. I just told the guy there to pick a pair that looked good on me. He gave me several to try on and then we chose between three frames all together. It seems to have turned out well.

So here are some of my big complaints about glasses. I don't know if there will be ten...but it will be close:

  • No depth perception. I feel like an idiot.
  • Screwy periphial vision. There are times where I see the frames and I will look over and the frames move with my head...go figure.
  • I don't like having to prop them up on my face after they slide down.
  • If they get a smudge on them, I can see better without them than with them. It is impossible to get gunk of of them.
  • If I wear the glasses for part of the day and take them off, my vision does not go back to normal until after I sleep. It is like a third level of vision quality that I have and worse.
  • I've had more headaches since I've started wearing them. Isn't this supposed to prevent headaches?
  • I have to be careful of what I do while I have these on. They are fricking expensive.
  • I am a macro guy, not a micro guy. Details aren't exciting to me. I like the big picture, these just magnify certain things that I was ok with not seeing before. For example, a hair on a computer screen or a scratch on my car.
  • Yeah, I just hate having things in front of my eyes. Even glasses.

6 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, September 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Put up a picture somewhere so I can see how handsome you look in your gunky, smeared glasses that are too close to your face. You could try drinking lots of cold water to get rid of the headaches - it may not work, but your complexion may get better. And, now with glasses, you'll be able to find the bathrooms faster on those frequent sprints to pee.(By the way, this is Allison, that blurry, ex-dancer woman that you met at SI.)

 
At 8:34 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger apete said...

Of course I didn't forget you!!! We do miss you though. I'll work on the photo. I don't know if one exists right now.

 
At 7:35 AM, September 22, 2005, Blogger srah said...

Yes, water.

 
At 2:12 PM, September 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you don't need glasses. If you're interested, google "Bates method", "natural vision improvement", "myopia prevention".

 
At 6:41 PM, September 26, 2005, Blogger srah said...

MARCIA Bates?

I wish.

 
At 7:20 PM, September 26, 2005, Blogger apete said...

She does need to find her berries...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home