apete's apage

A place for me to speak and be heard.

Friday, July 22, 2005

Team Pfizer raising money for MS




Kurt...I think
Originally uploaded by apete.
So this is the 4th year that I have ridden in the MS150 to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis. It is a two day ride that is about 75 miles each way. OK this year it was 84.5 miles each way which sucked...especially mentally. 10 miles is 10 miles, ya know. Oh well.

We got a little rain on Saturday. Only for about 8-10 miles and it wasn't bad. It did look ominous for the whole ride. It was fun though. I should have trained more. My knee is pretty sore. It started hurting about 65 miles in the first day so I was in pain for the rest of that day especially on the uphills. I did ride well the first day though. As others went to the bar, I had to borrow a car and race to Ann Arbor for a wedding. This is not recommended for a large bike ride but you do what you have to.

The second day didn't go as well. After the first 10 miles, my knee got all stretched out and was ok for about 35 miles when it started hurting again. I went about 25 more and then I had to give in a little after 60 miles because I had tears running down my face when I was going up hills so I sagged in. Because of the extra mileage from the first day though I was only a few miles short of 150 so I didn't feel that bad.

10 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That'll happen...we're getting old man.

I think I might have arthritic knees myself. I can't do squats like I used to....it's sad. Ironically, for me, biking (not 150 mile tours, but limited cycling) has helped improve the situation by keeping the muscles loose and probably fluid from building up and what not.

What you need now is a jacuzzi with a jet directed right at the knee. Works wonders.

 
At 7:55 PM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait until we're all old and hobbly! Maybe we can all three get knee replacements at the same time! Joy!

Exercise is good for bad knees - it keeps all the muscles and things strong and keeps the weight down (carrying extra weight around causes a lot of knee troubles). I come from an expert knee family!

Let's all get a jacuzzi!

 
At 11:02 PM, July 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm for that, if we pool our money we can get a better one. Trouble is where to put it :-P Maybe we should settle for an inflatable pool. We could each take turns eating beans to turn it into a jacuzzi. It would be like Blazing Saddles in a pool.

 
At 8:21 AM, July 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about my family room? Then we can watch TNATM from the jacuzzi.

Do they have inflatable jacuzzis? There's an idea!

 
At 12:57 AM, July 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody into the tub!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2662414

And bring some waffles.


I know they have inflatable pools that are a fair size (not just the kiddie pools...I'm sure they have ones with water jets.

 
At 9:23 AM, July 26, 2005, Blogger apete said...

We could just rent one...

 
At 7:13 PM, July 26, 2005, Blogger cariberry said...

If you guys rent a hot tub I am so there

 
At 8:17 PM, July 26, 2005, Blogger Noor said...

Hey - are you taunting me because I can't ride a bike?!?

Ha! ha! I have a hot tub in my apartment complex in LA!

And oh yeah, we can always visit the hot tub gardens in A2!

 
At 9:05 AM, July 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now we know a way to get Cari back when we need to.

Dude, Noor...you'd better be writing this post from it on a laptop then. The hot tub that is, not the bike.

Anyone remember James Brown's Celebrity Hot Tub Party on SNL with Eddie Murphy? Man, the halloween costume ideas just keep piling up.

Hot tub! Ha! Da!
Ah-full of water!
I say hot tub! Ha!
Day! Ba! Very, very hot... Very hot! Da!
Hot tub! Gonna get ya hot-a!
Gonna make ya sweat! Hey! Say!
Hot tub! Rub a dub in the hot tub!
Rub a dub with me!

 
At 9:22 AM, July 27, 2005, Blogger apete said...

Noor! Great idea for the SOCHI welcome event!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home